Sunday, February 10, 2013

The 5-hour Course

Ok, so I've decided to make my first blog about the 5-hour course, which I had to take yesterday. In case any of you didn't know (and are planning on getting your license sometime in your lives) this course is required for anyone who wants to get their license. That's right, they make you sit through 5 hours of boredom, in which you learn proabably about 5 things that are actually helpful.

Here's a link to a place that offers these classes and actually had a description, as most places don't:

http://www.gigliottis.com/courses.html

Here is a link to the place I actually took it at:

http://www.rightwaydrivingcenter.com/5-Hour-Course.html

Oh, and another thing. If you lose your certification for completing the course, you have to pay $20 to get another copy or attend a different course that is free (most cost $50, but Martin, Harding and Mazzotti offers a free course, the wait time is like 2 months though).


















Here is a photo of the place where I took the class (it's at Colonie Center).

Here is a link to a video about a driving school (which is in Brooklyn, but hey, maybe you'll learn something). The video is half English and half Spanish if you want to (or need to) watch the video in Spanish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89xKhPs58uQ


So just to recap: the 5-hour course is 5 hours of which you learn almost nothing! What a great way to spend a Saturday.

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh I remember my five hour. I took it with Miles and Alex at the easy method driving school. I forgot my permit and my sister sent it to my email 4 times until she realized that she was sending it to the wrong email hahah. Easy method has many useful lessons. They will even drive you to your road test and give you a lesson on the way there. I plan on using that on my road test, which is the 7th. Cannot wait until I can drive around without my parents judging my every move
    here's a link to the easymethod webstie if ur interested :http://drivingmadeeasy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have to take my 5 hour and I am dreading it. Hopefully, I will find some friends to take it with so it won't be as boring. That classroom looks so painful. I know they offer it at other locations that are more exciting. I am definitely going to search around to find a good location rather than that classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I took this 5-hour class with you, I found the crazy stories that our driving instructor told us to be the highlight of the course. He mentioned how he raced his son to Lake George from their home over an hour away. He also talked about how he almost crushed a women with the rocks in his truck he was bringing to a community project. It was also beneficial to have an instructor who served as a trucker for a decade or so to teach us the rules of driving because of his experience on the road. It was also neat to see all of the different characters in our class, who were all different ages and were taking the course for all different purposes. Some were there so they could ultimately obtain their drivers license, while others were there because of court mandated orders. The best part of the class was the feeling you received after you got your certificate at the end, because you are one step closer to obtaining your license.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have horrible memories from that class room, it was probably the most painful 5 hours of my life. Also the teacher looks like Mike from Breaking Bad if you dont know what he looks like then here. http://cdn.crushable.com/files/2012/07/mike-640x426.jpg
    By the end of the class I'm pretty sure I was mentally unstable. The way I coped with the insane bordom was to count from 0 to 3000 on a piece of paper. It was a traumatizing experience but once you actually get your license its definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete